These granola bars have been a favorite of ours for years. They’re delicious, filling, and, best of all, they’re all-natural – no high-fructose corn syrup, preservatives, or chemicals in these yummy squares!
It isn’t one of the easiest recipes in my repertoire, but the finished product is definitely worth the little extra effort. I also love that the ingredient list is versatile – meaning the kids don’t get bored with the taste because they never know what they’ll be getting!
Homemade Granola Bars
What you’ll need:
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup raw sugar
½ cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts and/or seeds (any combination)
1 cup dried fruit (any combination)
1 12 oz. pkg. dark chocolate chips
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease (or spray with oil) 11 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, oil, honey, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients; mix well.
- Add nuts/seeds and fruit; stir to combine.
- Pour into baking dish and spread evenly.
- Press firmly to compact mixture (a slightly smaller baking dish works well for this).
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and compress again.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Repeat steps until mixture is golden brown, but not over baked. (Usually takes about 45 minutes in my oven.)
- Remove from oven a final time and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
- Allow the chips to melt slightly and spread with a spatula.
- Cool 15 – 20 minutes and cut into squares.
I normally get 16 – 20 squares depending on how I cut them. They store well in a sealed container for several days.
Shared with Whole Hearted Home, 733 Blog, Lamberts Lately, Serving Joyfully, A Glimpse Inside, Missional Women, Bacon Time with Hungry Hypo, Thirty Handmade Days, Gator Mommy Reviews, Tatertots and Jello, The Modest Mom Blog, Ladybug Blessings, Titus 2 Tuesday, Back to the Basics, Raising Homemakers, We are THAT Family, Free Pretty Things for You, Atkinson Drive, A Life In Balance, What Joy is Mine, Good Tips Tuesday, Saving 4 Six, Mom’s the Word, and A Little R & R
Latest posts by Candy (see all)
- Introducing Coffee and Conversation - July 30, 2014
- Make Your Own All-Natural Exfoliating Scrub – Only 2 Ingredients - July 22, 2014
- Practical Tips for Saving Money in the Kitchen - July 11, 2014